Tuesday, June 21, 2005

gone fishing

We're all in the mountains, the whole fam. I've come to be with those parts of myself that they've taken from me over the years. I know where they've hidden some of me, but there are parts I'm just going to have to look for.
We drove up this afternoon and landed at my parents' house. We're off to the wilderness as soon as the kids wake up. Last time we were here was Thanksgiving weekend, and broke out of nasty, stormy weather as we drove up the mountain into Virginia. Tonight, as we climbed and looked back over Mt. Airy, we caught the first glimpses of the nearly full, waxing Strawberry moon. It followed us all the way here. Amazing how a simple metaphor can be so meaningful.
It will be especially meaningful to be in Cranberry under the full Strawberry moon tonight. It should be a berry good night. (sorry, that's not like me at all)
Also on tap for this week under the Strawberry moon, is a very special rite of passage for my first born. We are going to hike in to nowhere and celebrate his becoming a man. Maybe wrestle a bear, dance around under the moon, but in any case, lots of prayer and deep conversation between father and son. Pray for a meaningful passage.
You won't know him when he returns. He'll have lost a part of himself to the mountains, washed away by the river. I'll introduce you.
See you Friday night.

|