Tuesday, November 16, 2004

dressed gorillas du ritz

originally a comment to The Punk of Poetry

I dreamt this morning that I was having a conversation with James Taylor. I told him that Allison and I saw him in concert together before we were married and that evening stands out as a magic moment. I also told him that "New Moonshine" was one of my 5 favorite records ever. He asked me what were my others. I told him Kiss- "dressed to kill" and counting crows - "august and everything after". who knew? I don't know about the Kiss thing, but I just saw Adam Duritz interviewed on the Shrek 2 DVD. I do love that album, which explains why I would tell that to James Taylor.
James Taylor had hair, so I don't think he'd experienced Counting Crows yet - he just looked at me kind of lost. In fact, he was bald when Al and I saw him in concert all those years ago, so surely he thought I was weird describing a concert that he'd not yet given. As for the "dressed to kill" reference - well, I haven't heard that record in at least 25 years. Who knows what black and white images from your past lurk in the back of your mind ready to spring forth to James Taylor unsolicited? Maybe since JT had hair, I pictured him on the cover of Gorilla and thought his stance resembled that of Gene Simmons on dressed to kill. I don't know. Anyway, realizing that I was having a conversation with a man who had not yet written "copperline", I quickly jotted down a lead sheet and handed it to him. Perhaps now if you look at your liner notes, you'll see my name. Maybe not.

|