Monday, November 08, 2004

to the gypsy traveler

Molly took us to the zoo for her birthday on Saturday. There among all the other animals were countless marsupial dads with their wee ones strapped to their bellies pointing into the exhibits, trying to get the kids interested in the attractions rather than adults like me waving at the babies and trying to get a smile. Bigger wee ones dragged their feet off the front of their strollers, tangling their sneakers in the wheels and causing dad to crash below the belt level into unyielding stroller handles.
Still larger, less wee ones in that short-lived stage where dad can still ride them on his shoulders, were riding on dad's shoulders all about the zoo. TIny Buster Brown spurs catching dad in the nipples as he clinched them by the ankles nearly cutting off the circulation to their nubby little toes.
I have been each of these dads. Even the three dads whose wee ones had not yet emerged as they walked slowly between exhibits with a camera in one hand and a wife's swollen hand in the other. Get to know the lay of the land before junior arrives and Saturday afternoon demands a tiring excursion.
These guys have it easy. I used to have to carry my children on my chest with my own hands, none of this Kangaroo pouch stuff. Now the men's bathrooms actually have diaper tables in them. You don't know how many times I threatened to march headlong into the ladies room as I stood in the middle of the room holding the kid in one hand while changing, cleaning, and re-dressing with the other.
Yes, those days have passed. It is a whole new set of challenges, frustrations, joys, and smiles now. And I do take the Gypsy Traveler's warnings seriously. These times too, more quickly than before, will go the way of the buffalo. Long hours of homework, sibling fighting, long talks under the stars, marshmallows by the fire, butterfly kisses and tickle fights.
Yeah, you knew when you were that mom at McDonald's that it wouldn't last forever. When you watched that mom at McDonald's you knew that the tennis match would end. But I bet you didn't know how well you would be represented by those you had to let go. I've been with these guys since you turned them loose. Traveled, dined, played hoops, rock-n-rolled, even went to Eastern Europe with both of them. This is to say that even while I heed your warnings about how quickly this stage passes, I witness what you accomplished in these stages and am encouraged. I see more stages to welcome with the joy that those past have brought. I do wish that yours were closer so that you could see the results of your efforts.

|