Wednesday, October 20, 2004

talk stuff while ya can

I'm not Dave so I'm allowed to blog. Ok, may I refer you to my comment from Thursday? If I had a nickel for everytime my team has been down by 3 games, and I've said, "well, they won three in a row, why can't we? Shouldn't even be surprising. Momentum? Schmomentum! That's just a word that sports figures are taught to throw out there in post game interviews, win or lose. Remember Costner's advice to Robbins? I learned all those lines too when I coached Girls' HS Basketball in PA. I'd give the same two paragraphs to 3 newspapers after every game, didn't matter, because they'd print something completely different anyway. "Coach Lewis of the Lady Blue Devils says, "our girls kept their momentum despite the fact that their shoes laces were tied together."
So in the world of sports - especially in post-season hardball - I'm sure that momentum is just a word, and just as easily as one team can win the first 3 of a best-of-seven, the other team can win the next 3. Except for one thing, regardless of how many times I've said it, it has never happened. Until tonight.
So as the prophecies begin to come true, some of you should spend a little time thinking about other predictions I've made that you thought were ridiculous.
Billy, remember when I, as your teacher, predicted that if you didn't come to class you wouldn't pass the course? Kids, remember when I warned you that you could put someone's eye out with that thing? And I told you if you don't stop making that face, you'd get stuck like that? Well who's crazy now? Huh? And tonight in class, Mr. B.J. Smith, sitting there all smug with your NY cap on. Didn't I tell you that you couldn't play a E7#9 chord with that non-sense perched on your head? Maybe that'll teach ya some respect for teacher.
Hang in there Dave-O, you can blog tomorrow night.
Here's a big Bronx cheer...

|