Tuesday, October 12, 2004

he's not heavy...

The thing that breaks my heart most being a parent is sibling fighting. I know, my brother and I did it, and we survived, but that doesn't ease the pain of it at all. There is truth to that phrase, "sibling rivalry", for most of the fighting comes from one sibling demeaning another to lift himself up. I look at three precious children and see innate worth, and they look at themselves and feel that they can only grow if the others are stunted.
The heartbreaking thing is that we retain this errant, selfish mindset as we grow up, we just learn to hide it, to keep it to ourselves, or to be more sneaky when we hold others down. A great ball player talks stuff about another great ball player, because he thinks he can only be great if someone else is considered beneath him. I'm afraid my idea won't be considered good unless your idea is stupid. We immediately point out the flaws in someone else, and often to them personally.
Where is the mindset that greatness comes from making others great? That it takes great strength to build up and carry others? What would happen if we spread rumours of kindness and encouragement about those around us? What would happen if the presidential candidates began campaigning for one another? Maybe we could vote for the one who proved to be the most constructive rather than the one who mostly effectively deconstructed the other. Both candidates would have the greatest characteristics pointed out by the other and we would have better information on which to base our decision.
When I get calls for gigs, I always give the caller names of other players, in case they want to shop. Maybe they can get a better price. I tell them so and so is a good player. I have never lost a job because I told them that someone else was also a fine musician. Actually, I've received more calls from those guys passing my name along when they were called. We create a better environment for all involved.
Lift each other. Build up. Carry. Share.

|