Wednesday, October 27, 2004

sweep?

Of course we know that no team can possibly come back from a 3 game deficit - right?
For some strange reason this morning in my twilight world of waking/sleeping, my mind was playing games with games. Tournaments, deficits, handicaps, point spotting, series, sets, matches. Baseball is a strange sport to try to determine a team that is better another. At best this determination can be made concerning a given game. Thus the "best of" series. But in reality, we could have a series of best of seven series and each one would turn out differently. 49 games to determine the champion. "they won 4 series to 3."
I don't know why, but I also thought about evening out inequality among teams and players. Remember when a friend would try to entice you to a game of one on one, or a wiffle ball game? "To 11, win by two, make it take it, I'll spot you 5." Or, "3 innings, you start with the bases loaded and 2 runs."
I never understood golf's handicap system. I always thought that I should play in a threesome and my score should compete against the other two guys' combined. That way, I'd win by 36 strokes, which is precisely how many I lose by when we play fairly.
Anyway I don't know why a prayer for a series sweep made me think about point spreads and handicaps. I'm certainly not ready to spot SL any runs tonight.

|