Friday, January 09, 2004

what's the question?

I hope gwillie doesn’t mind that I brought his comment up to the blog:

This is a giant irony, because a lifestyle without dangerous risks (including perpetually challenging the "Christian status quo")isn't likely to produce much Jesus-approval. Puke-warm.

Yes, I hope that irony is understood by all, because in the past, I’ve ranted a lot about Christians who spend all their time trying not to do the wrong thing. But obviously there is equal danger in a sense of security by striving to “be” a person that is worthy to be called a Christian. There is only one thing that makes us worthy to be called Christians, Jesus.
Another irony that I sense is that this is a sentiment that many younger pomo Christians are taking with them from the modern mindset. As I surf around many pomo blogs, I begin to wonder if this modern misunderstanding isn’t manifesting itself among postmodern Christians as well. At times, the only difference seems to be what behaviors and morals are giving the false sense of spiritual security.
I remember a discussion that popped up in class a couple years ago when I said something about an unbeliever being a good person. I was speaking of morality but several of my students ardently felt that this was impossible outside of Christ. This bothered me because it stood to reason that if a non-believer could not be moral, then if they knew the person I was talking about, they would consider him a believer.
Today on the highway, I followed a car with an Ichtus with a cross in it on the trunk. All around were bumper stickers, “Mean people suck”; a globe inside of which was written, “love your mother”; etc.; but what really got my attention was, “Trees are the answer.” My first old-fogy reaction was, “if trees are the answer, then why the cross in the middle of that fish?” I’m not stupid, I know what was meant, I understand stewardship, and I would have probably reacted just as sarcastically if he’d had a bumper sticker that said, “Jesus, is the answer.” What I want to know is, are trees the answer to my sin nature? Is Jesus the answer to environmental conservation? These sound like ridiculous questions. But is it really that much of stretch to worry that we’re getting that confused?

|