Monday, January 05, 2004

The Jesus Concept

Musings on The Return of the King, part V

I know I am going way over board with my return of king musings. I’m really not a geek. Honest. I'm pretty sure this will be the last one. There's no lesson here, just stretching meanings and thinking things through.
I’ve been thinking about a lot of symbolism in the LoTR that I think gets lost because it isn’t a direct counterpart to the real story. There is a lot of conceptual symbolism. I think of different things each time I watch any of the movies or revisit parts of the book. I’ll give you one.
I feel a reference to Matthew 28 in Tolkien’s idea of the age of men. The building of the kingdom is established and turned over to men (people). I won’t beat a dead horse here, because the true story is so simple, but the concepts are scattered among different players in the fantasy. It seems that the elves represent the spiritual, or heaven, at least, immortality. Heretofore, they seem to have been in charge, so to speak. But the time has come for the age of men to be left to carry on the task that has been started. There was a great king in the past who squelched evil, but was unable to conquer it. His descendent is now the one who has overcome it. He marries an elf who has to renounce her immortality, and thus will die, so that man and the spiritual are once again united. The age of men will not be without a helper.

|