Monday, December 27, 2004

31 dollars

Yesterday, Allison and I gave each other same symbolic, meaningful gift which came to 31 dollars each.
Today I had to completely replace the brakes on her truck. The inside brake pads had disentegrated and totally scored the rotor discs, so they too, had to be replaced. On a 4x4 Explorer, one cannot just pull the rotor off without removing lots of fun 4 wheel drive stuff, and the fun four-wheel-drive stuff cannot be removed without a special, monster-sized socket that no one sells. So I spent the largest part of the day looking for said socket.
Right now, I am waiting for the bearings to dry so that I can repack them, so I thought I'd let you know the price list for my brake job today:

brake pads: 31 dollars
(driver side) rotor: 31 dollars
(passenger side) rotor: 31 dollars
special monster size hex lock nut socket: 31 dollars

I was going to charge myself $250 dollars for this job, but seeing the precedent that has been set, I am going to be rudely underpaid.
Maybe this is a good time to check out air fares.

|