Thursday, May 25, 2006

the right road


Rightroad
Way back in the day (2000), I started the germ of my blog with a bit on the grace monkey site called rod’s rants. It was far from a daily excursion into the cynical observational recesses of my mind, but rather, stuff that would build up over time and which I would finally sit down at my keyboard and spew out through my fingertips. In the meantime, between spewings, old rants would just sit there, or I’d replace them with some cool quote from someone who actually had something to say. When I got the idea to give myself this outlet, I hadn’t actually formulated a rant yet, only felt the need to do so. So I created the page and filled it with a placeholder that to this day seems to be the hub of nearly everything I rant about. The quote concerns repentance.
The illustration that C. S. Lewis used in that quote, simple as it is, has drawn pictures in my head that have made many things clearer to me, and have muddled my understanding of other things. But it is the impetus of my walk and my desired M.O. It has been the screen on which I make observations about my self and the human environment in which I find myself. It has been the filter through which I sift jargon and suspect word meaning shifts and exchanges. I inadvertently summed it all up for myself when I wrote a little parable called
the errant evangelical
.
It seems that the character trait that seems most ubiquitous - in fact, I think we all are bent this way - is to find ourselves on the wrong road, and redefine our destination so that the road we are on will suffice. Usually though, we don’t change the name of our destination. We simply rename the place to where we are erroneously headed, with the name of the place we were supposedly headed before we found ourselves on the wrong road.
We live a meta example of the “I meant to do that” response to simple faux pas. Or maybe it is actually more severe than that. I think we set out to build a house and when it turns out to be a barn, we decide to call it a house and continue to pretend that it is a house. So we end up living in a barn and eventually no longer realize that we live in a barn. Had we recognized that we were building a barn, razed it and started anew with the house… well, you get the picture. Of course there is nothing wrong with building a barn, that is, unless you think it is a house.
I have bemoaned that I see us switching what we’re about by getting sidetracked and rather than correcting ourselves, we correct the thing we’re supposed to be about. I have pointed out my observations concerning honesty and integrity, faith and belief, cause and effect, expression and means, etc. But our confusion doesn’t only exist between word pairs. There are many areas of the Christian life that have come to be redefined according to the off the mark place we’ve found ourselves. I have written here before about discipleship; and I’m about to launch into connected diatribe about love, sex, and worship. So if you think none of these three things have anything to do with one another, then be forewarned.



Technorati Tags: ,

|